Why is it that some weeks you are a focused, energetic leader and other weeks you feel like you are swimming through mud? Maybe it is because you are much more effective and energised when you are doing things that play to your personal strengths, and you are much less effective when you are doing things that are NOT playing to your personal strengths.So, what do you do?
- Keep reminding yourself that you are a leader and that you have a responsibility towards yourself and others.
- Define your strengths and identify how you can best align your role as leader to those strengths
- Recognise when you have some tasks to do that are not aligned to your personal strengths
- Ask yourself whether those tasks can be delegated to others – if they can, then delegate them (ideally to someone who has strengths in that area)
- If you, and only you, can do the specific tasks then do them as quickly as possible and then get back to what you do best. Your heart and your business will thank you for it!
Leadership is about spending as much time as possible being focused, energised and therefore far more effective and as little time as possible swimming through mud (unless you like to de-stress by doing some bog swimming!)
The most dangerous leadership myth is that leaders are born – that there is a genetic factor to leadership. That’s nonsense; in fact the opposite is true. Leaders are made rather than born – Warren Bennis.
And remember – we don’t get it perfect all of the time. It is the endeavour….the starting afresh over and over…that eventually creates the habit of leadership….and THAT is the true prize.
Director at LEAP
Talk To Us About Our Business Leadership Programmes for Business Owners and Senior managers
Tel: 091 755736
Download our Make Leadership Happen programme for business owners.